Anniv Picnic and Congrats

Where all the bluesmen would sit pickin' & grinnin' and shooting the breeze. Post a note on any other subject for which there is not a special board. You're welcome to use this board for conversation and fun - there are no real "rules." Just be as courteous as you would be in person, please.

Anniv Picnic and Congrats

Postby Bob BBS on June 28th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Despite the tropical conditions we had a ball at the Anniversary Picnic. Thanks to 200+ of you who braved the elements (Remember, Miss Mae sez "Blues Ain't for Sissies!" )

Congratulations to Dockta D & The Infirmary who won our blues challenge and will represent us in Memphis at the International Blues Challenge next February. http://www.docktad.com/index.htm and http://www.myspace.com/docktad

Thanks to all the bands that entered and our other finalists, The Robert Frahm Band and Stacy Brooks.

Thank you to our judges:

John Matthews - WTMD 89.7

Bill Wax - Sirius/XM Bluesville Exit 74 on your blues highway

Bob Emrich - Blues Society of Central Pa., Treasurer

Bruce Ewan - Harmonicist and International Blues Ambassador

Duke Robillard was (of course!) outstanding and Jackie Scott & The Housewreckers really showed why they made the IBC finals last year, cranking up the party, getting folks out of the shade and onto the "dance lawn!?"

It was great to see some of our "original gansters" on the scene! Along with a bunch of first timers!
I have to believe if we could of had an only "normally" hot day we would have seen a lot more folks come out and play. We would of broken even financially if only 24 more people had paid at the door. Don't worry, our treasury can handle it, but please do remember....donations above your membership are tax deductable and appreciated!!

CU at the next BBS show!

Bob

Booked for 2010 so far:
FEB:The Holmes Brothers, Charles”BigDaddy”Stallings, APRIL 17: Mark Hummel with Rusty Zinn, John Nemeth JUNE 27: Duke Robillard, Jackie Scott, Band Contest SEPT 5: James Armstrong, Bryan Lee, Diunna Greenleaf, Doug Macleod OCT 9: John Primer, Kilborn Alley Blues Band Nov 27: ?

2009 Bands booked: Cederic Burnside & Lightnin' Malcolm, Smokin' Joe Kubrek featuring B'Nois King, Jason Ricci, Nick Moss & the Flip Tops, Dave Gross, Lil’Ed & The Blues Imperials, Eugene "Hideaway" Bridges, Robin Rogers, Mississippi Heat, Clarence "The Bluesman" Turner, Little Joe McLerran, Big Boy Little, Los Reyes del K.O., Janiva Magness, Mikey Jr. and Stone Cold Blues, Big Jesse Yawn, Joe Louis Walker, Steve Guyger & Pete Kanaras, Flatfoot Sam & the Educated Fools, Christopher James Band, Automatic Slim, Lower Case Blues
Bob BBS

Re: Anniv Picnic and Congrats

Postby prokofieff on June 30th, 2010, 10:08 am

Huh, second year in a row that two local bands and one out-of-towner are selected for the finals, and the out-of-towner wins. Sounds like Baltimore'd better ratchet it up a notch! Congrats to all finalists.
prokofieff

Postby StacyBrooks on July 1st, 2010, 1:54 pm

Congrats to Dockta D & The Infirmary!! Also, thank you Bob for allowing us to participate in your competition last week. After our set we were able to relax somewhat and really enjoy the BBS hospitality and the other bands. It was hot, but fun! Thank you again BBS!
The Love...Peace & The Blues CD is coming soon
http://www.stacysmusic.org
http://www.reverbnation.com/stacybrooks
StacyBrooks

Postby Crawlin Kingsnake on July 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm

I received the following letter from Dockta D

To: Crawlin Kingsnake
Subject: Re: Last Sunday

Hey Dave,
Needless to say, we are all tickled pink by the good fortune we had last Sunday, which we wouldn't have had if you hadn't urged me to apply. I thank you my friend.

We had a great time, for sure. The other bands were tight and we feel lucky to have won. I look forward to Memphis bigtime! I hope you can go down there. I also hope we can do a good job representing the BBS.

Thanks for letting me use your pix on the web site -- check it out on the main page.
http://www.docktad.com/index.htm

I gotta call the Nauti-Goose. Pretty sure they'll get me back in there. Don't know what to say about the Pickled Herring. We'll see.

Take care, man.
Dock
Also known as Dave Strickler
Living on Blues Power
Image Join me on Facebook
Crawlin Kingsnake
Site Administrator

Postby ConnieWarner on July 7th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Wolf and I enjoyed ourselves at our first BBS Rosedale event - great venue, great music and very well organized - congratulations to the winner and thanks so much BBS for the fine hospitality and for all your hard work!
ConnieWarner

Return to The Front Porch